I have been invited to give a talk to some MBA students about life in the startup landscape. I reflected on my experience and boiled it down to these bullets. Do they match your experience? I’d love to hear what you think.
- Be audacious. Aim very high and fail sometimes.
- Be open. Listen to your customers’ needs and wants.
- Be humble. Listen to your advisers who have experience that you don’t have.
- Be nimble. If something doesn’t work, fix it now and move on.
- Be focused. Keep the Main Thing the Main Thing.
- Be fact-based in decision making, but learn to trust your gut too.
- Hire some generalists and some specialists.
- Pace yourself while working hard. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Have some fun along the way.